Sunday 11 October 2009

Tattoo Art Outside The Box




I will admit that I am not a huge fan of tattoo art culled as fine art. Bring out your daggers but it's a craft and sometimes the artists whom paint the same time honoured things start to all look the same.
Swallows, roses, skulls, dragons all great tattoo iconography, but when I take notice is when I see something different. Scott Campbell is a Brooklyn based tattoo artist who is someone with a vision outside the box. Lazerides Gallery here in Soho is featuring his first exhibition in the Uk during the month of October. Being that I cam fresh from the Tate Modern, I though his work was prevalent now, what with the financial situation and all going on today.



Painstakingly assembled together each dollar is drawn onseperately and lazer cut, the glued together to form a piece of work that is both very original and remarkable. I believe this is how it should be done. I love these pieces and the work is quite remarkable, like a large tattoo, your drawn into the detail. Intricate and beautiful are two words that come to mind when I see them. His tattoo work is also remarkable for he is a well rounded artist whom work varies in style and form. He's my kind of tattoo artist. Check it out before it's gone.

No comments: