Thursday 24 February 2011

Growing Old!

The topic of growing older has seemed to fall in my path quite recently in a number of ways by fate trying to tell me something. Odd as it is I have taken this subject to heart to see where I am on the big scale of things. In short asking myself if I am on the right path and where I should be on the great astral psychic plane of life. Sure I know Henry Hate is a somewhat of a cartoon and really doesn't exist but to me, he has opened as many doors as many doors as he has closed. But some of my frinds and I are much older and no longer the raging young adult whom want to be angry at the world and fall in love. A quaint notion but eventually it gets old, tiresome and just plain fucking dumb. I mean I really don't want to be a dick head my whole life. Sure I can get my bitch on in 0-60 flat. I have had alot of practice, but still like everyone else I too have hope and dreams.

Wallowing in shit is just not one of them. Alot of my friends are now with kids and settled in with family life, my self included. Gone are the days of me hanging at Bob's Frolic at last call hammering shots spouting out the Jukebox Faves at the top of my lungs. No more scowering Hoist in leather looking for that ever hopeful hot guy to take me away from endless night of meaningless sex with guys I can't even remember most of their names. Now it's taking my dog to the Vet, making sure we have something to cook or thawed from the freezer, and the responsibilities to my better half, pooch and my career. Yup pretty soon like most it's all career, career career. as my Paartner has a shop of his own it takes up alot of time to make a functioning business work. The parallels for making a relationship work is staggering. Fisrt there needs to be a willingness.

As my friends have kids and responsibilities we see each other less and less, but when we do, we are pretty much the same people only different. I will never know what it's like to hear the laughter of a child that is all my own, or seeing them go to school, and I can make peae with that, yet as you get older you have to consider the trade off for your choices. These are the spanners that make getting older in the machinery of life kinda suck but, there the moment of reckoning when you realize you just really want the basic things in life that most people want. Shelter, love, acceptance, success be it however you measure it.
Most of my friends are pretty much very into keeping their identitiies of whom they are, and I like that. As opposed to my parents were by the ok this is what your supposed to do as they were told from their parents.

I do not wish to go through my twenties again as parts of it were really painful and hard and glad to say I came out of it ok, and can look back and smile. Most shit is rehashed anyways that it fucking sucks. There is no suck thing as Punk Rock anymore, I think of people looked at what is going on with North Africa and the revolutions taking place where people just said "Fuck This", and actually made a change, rather than the fucking suburban mall rat with the ever present scowl whose misunderstood cause he's fucking short on cash, friends and dates. Those are not real problems, but if the kid took action, he would make a difference with himself. Still I look forward to getting older and chasing kids away from my yard/ I do think its cool that kids come into the shop and want to get work from me and they think I am cool cause I'm older and done it all. Yet my partner's god sons' Gyro and Brendan like ,e to draw on them with fake tattoos. But now they think we're old and boring which is odd, casue they like playing my guitar and playing with our apple tv and films, not to mention playing with Joleene.

Ther is a documentary called The Other F Word which follows musicians in the punk scene who've essentially grown up. What happens when a generation's ultimate anti-authoritarians -- punk rockers -- become society's ultimate authorities -- dads? With a large chorus of Punk Rock's leading men - Blink-182's Mark Hoppus, Red Hot Chili Peppers' Flea, Rise Against's Tim McIlrath- The Other F Word follows, Jim Lindberg, 20-year veteran of skate punk band, Pennywise, on his hysterical and moving journey from belting his band's anthem, 'Fuck Authority', to embracing his ultimately pivotal authoritarian role in mid-life, fatherhood.


My friend Lina writes for the LAWeekly and has a child as she was one of the cool chicks everyone knew on the Hollywood scene wrote a blog article about wht cool parents could do with their kids as opposed to swimming in piss soaked pits filled with balls. Chek it out, In a unrelated topic I thought this fucking guy shouldn't have mouthed off to a Vietnam Vet.. But the dude got smaked like a whore in church three bucks short.

No comments: