Sunday 8 November 2009

Infante Terrible De Danse.



My self and my partner are huge fans of David Bowie, I have my aunt Jane to thanks for that. Because of her, the seed was planted. I was fortunate enough to get two tickets to the sold out show at the Barbican to watch The Michael Clark Company preform " Come Been Gone" an homage of Lou Reed, Iggy Pop and David Bowie. Bren had never seen them preform so I made sure he go to see this show. I was more than excited to see the person whom put dance to Mark E. Smith's music. He didn't disappoint. Clark has always been on the fringes of contemporary dance with his rock and roll swagger and his bad boy reputation. So, this performance certainly did sweeten the pot to a hall full of people, wanting to see his return to form.


Broken in three performances, the sound track included his love for The Fall, Velvet Underground, Iggy Pop, and the show stopping Bowie. The first time I heard of Michael Clark was through the performance art of Leigh Bowery, whom collaborated together often and were close friends. This was, B.H. Before Henry Hate came to London. I can say that with this sow travelling around, it is worth a look to anyone into the music. Spiked with humour and excellent precision, Michael Clarks company delivered the goods, with a homage to a time gone past, and a selection of Bowies, Berlin era and the epic "Heroes," it virtually moves you. I thought this was a valentine to his youth and the music of that time. Even the programme was issued in a mock glossy 45' record sleeve, complete with the three rock heroes on the cover. The show ends with a favourite of mine "Jean Jeanie, that took me back to my childhood and my first arrival here in London in 98, dancing in the basement of club of Madame Jo Jo's night Kitsch Bitch 11 years ago. It did inspire me visually as the dancers were somewhat Asexual rather than asserting roles of man and woman. If you get the chance go, even if you're not a fan of contemporary dance, you'll be glad you did. Even if you just want to look at nice asses in titght costumes designed Body Map.



So let's here this opus to a youth and Berlin. Enjoy..
For Bren. Not that I want to move to Berlin and get strung out on smack while turning tricks in a subway terminal. But still a great Film.

No comments: